Apple Classroom is an iPad app allows teachers to oversee student work, guide students through lessons, share resources, and sort students into groups for collaborative tasks.
Have the students get their iPads out 1st thing every morning and have them open them up and make sure they are getting a MCCSC Wi-Fi signal. Once they do then just let them sit for about 5 minutes before using the Classroom. Teachers should also do this to their iPads. That should give them plenty of time to check in and get the updated profile.
If you have a new student, they may not be rostered in your class yet via the daily upload to ASM. Wait a day and then check. If they are still not showing up, create a help desk ticket and your building tech will investigate it further.
Make sure students do not switch iPads. We are 1:1 and the classroom profile is assigned based on the student's AD account associated to their iPad. It's always important when a student withdraws from your school that the iPad is returned to the building tech to be erased and available for a newly enrolled student.
If the student’s iPad is on, but it says it’s "offline”...
- Restart iPad
- Are you/the students on the correct Wi-Fi network (not guest)?
- Do you/the students have Bluetooth enabled?
- Is the iPad updated? Sometimes this helps, but it is not always required for students. Teachers must update in order to download the app. If you need to save photos off of your iPad to free up space for the update, we recommend the Google Photos app, as it is unlimited.
- All students still show offline for the teacher? Go to your teacher app portal and tap "information" a few times until a message pops up. Verify.
- Is the iPad named incorrectly? For example, it is named "iPad" or has someone else's name under Settings/General/About instead of the teacher or student's username. If it is named incorrectly, Enter Help Desk Ticket.
- If you've checked all these, then you could try one more thing: Settings/ General / Reset / Reset Network Settings. (If you do this, you will have to rename your iPad under Settings / About with your correct iPad name, i.e. FS-ARL-your username or FS-username)
- Teacher iPad: Still none of the students show up? Delete Classroom app and re-install from App Portal- Enter Help Desk Ticket.
- Student iPad that appears offline no matter what? Enter Help Desk Ticket - building technician will remove student from Filewave and add back in, or contact digital coach to get help from IS skyward support.
Other Apple Classroom Tips
- To be able to send a website URL to your students through “Navigate,” you will need to open your Safari and save it to Favorites first. To do this you go to the website you want, tap the share arrow and then the star icon. Then go to Apple Classroom, tap “Navigate” and then Safari / Favorites / and select the site.
- Apps (Open)-To send students to an app that they have on their iPads, you will need to install the app on your iPad as well using the blue App Store.
Scenario: An assistant teacher wants to view what is happening on a student iPad via Apple Classroom.
Relevant information: Only primary instructors of courses in Skyward are in Apple Classroom at this time. Adding additional instructors – while a future priority – is not available at this time.
Team to Contact
For additional information or questions, please put in a Help Desk ticket.